SCROLL DOWN TO THE COMMENTS!
What You'll Discover in this Episode:
Best Practices in Discipleship
Let's discover some best practices in biblical counseling or ministering God's counsel in this episode of the Biblical Counseling Podcast.
The first thing before providing biblical counseling a biblical counselor needs to have is a proper personal walk with God. Are you walking in the Lord? Are you in prayer? Are you involved in a local church? As biblical counselors, why do we need to have these qualities? Because we need to come alongside those, encourage those we counsel to do just that.
Steps in Counseling Situation (A suggested order of the session):
- Personal Data Inventory
- Start with a prayer
- Listen - Get to know the person by asking good questions. Be genuinely interested in their life and their story.
- Do you discern that the person is not saved? Prayerfully seek the Lord’s wisdom throughout, ask HIM for insight into their salvation (if you don’t know them well enough and have a history of worshipful interaction)
- Are they saved, but not walking on the path of discipleship?
- Fitting Use of the Word, and you want the time sharing the Bible to take precedence. If the counselor understands the situation and already knows necessary details, there is a point where it is better to talk less about the issue and more time spent inviting God’s counsel into the person’s life and situation.
- Homework. They have to learn how to go straight to God and seek Him themselves. Homework tells you how serious they are about counseling.
- End in Prayer